With one ongoing summer sales everywhere, here are some tried and tested tips to get the most out of your shopping experience.
1. Know What You Want – Get Your Wish-List Done Up
- Make a list of what you want way before the great sale. Be specific. State store locations and exact pieces of clothing that you wish to have. Try on those clothes that you fancy, so you’ll know exactly what size fits you and what look good on you. Come sales time, you wouldn’t need to waste precious time deciding on what you want. Instead you could just zero in on your dream items.
- This way, you could also avoid buying items that you don’t need.
- You don’t want to break the bank, don’t you? Set a budget and stick to it. That way you’ll feel better about yourself too. No more guilt about shopping. Hurray!
- Remember not to buy things that you don’t really need. They would only end up sitting in your wardrobe for the next 6months or in the donation bin later on.
3. The Surprise Bargains
Even though you’ve made a detailed list of what you want, be on the look out for unexpected bargains. These are the pleasant surprises that will put a smile on your face – the ‘bonus’ buys. That’s what makes shopping so addictive!
4. How To Snatch that Dress You’ve Been Eyeing For From Right Under The Nose Of The Other Person
Aim, Target, Shoot. That’s right, it’s that simple. Aim well, then target the object of your desire and zoom in on your ‘goal’ straight away. Regular stretching exercises and practice sessions at home helps. Practise makes perfect!
5. Shop on a Weekday
Yes, trust me. It’s definitely worth sacrificing one day of your annual leave. You fight with fewer crowds (though not entirely as great minds think alike. Sigh!)
6. Dress comfortably – Don’t Wear Stilettos
- Wear something cooling, comfortable and easy to slip out of for fitting.
- Wear comfortable slip-ons/sandals/shoes. The last thing you want is for your feet to hurt and ache. Leave those stilettos at home.
7. Don’t go on an empty stomach
You need energy to shop…HEAPS of it, in fact. So be sure to have a full stomach before going on a shopping spree. Don’t worry, all that walking can burn off those calories!
8. Do rest your tired feet
Don’t torture those poor soles. Remember to rest them. What better way than to stop for a spot of afternoon tea? You refill your stomach and rest your tired feet at the same time.
9. How to re-energize
Toss a banana or an apple into your bag before you head out for a day of splurging. Raisins, dried fruits or nuts (no added salt, non-roasted), sunflower seeds, crisp bread are alternative healthy snacks that would pick-you-up without piling on those pounds. Don’t forget that bottle of water too.
10. Get someone to carry your shopping bags
- Get your boyfriend or long-suffering husband to tag along. If not, train up those biceps of yours. Hauling all those shopping bags is no joke. Or get a friend who drives to go along. Then you could dump your bags into the car boot once they get too much to handle. Okay, I know this isn’t exactly ethical but if they are willing parties and your chosen company enjoys shopping too; well, it’s a win-win for both of you.
- Better yet, get your best shopping buddy to enjoy this annual shopping pilgrimage.
Are you ready to shop till you drop?
Note: First published on buzzle.com on 4 July 2008